F8 Samba

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 29 22:12:08 UTC 2007

Antonio wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>:
>> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 22:41 +0100, Antonio wrote:
>>>
>>> Does it mean that password is wrong??? I synchronized them by Webmin,
>>> maybe that something is wrong....
>> ----
>> yeah - forget webmin for a second...
>>
>> try (as root)
>>
>> smbpasswd antonio
>>
>> and re-enter your password
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Tnx!!!! it works.....it means that I have to re-issue password for each user???
>
> Tnx for help
You probably will. Webmin can not create Samba passwords from the
passwords in /etc/passwd. The only way you can use the passwords is
if you send plain-text password over the network. Windows and Linux
uses different password hashing mechanisms. So the encrypted
password that Samba uses does not match the one in /etc/passwd.

There used to be a section in the Samba docs about this, but I have
not looked for it lately.

Mikkel