Backup of a VMware virtual machine

Greg Sieranski greg.sieranski at quoininc.com
Fri Nov 30 15:13:40 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Paul Smith wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

> Yes.  They are just files.  I do it all the time.
>
> However, you need to restore them to the same place since there is
> configuration information in one or two of the files.
>
> And, you should read the VMware for documentation on how to "clone" a VM in
> the event you are moving it to another machine or another location.
>
> (FYI, I'm only talking about VMware Workstation.  If you are using another
> one of their products, YMMV.)

I install all my vmware images in my home directory under vmware. So for
windows I have  ~/vmware/Windows XP. I then use rsync -avP to copy the
Windows directory to my backup disk. Then whenever I do a fresh install,
I just rsync -avP  the Windows directory from the backup disk to my
laptop and open in up in vmware. Works perfectly

Greg Sieranski