Fedora and Ubuntu

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:07:26 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
> Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
> see how to get it working here.

Having worked with Ubuntu, and done a few 7.04 to 7.10 upgrades through that
GUI, I'll second this.  After doing the initial update, a section of the
updater is added, which includes a button to do a version upgrade.  No reboot
until the packages are downloaded and installed, then you reboot into the
upgraded system.  The Debian systems have for a long time had a smoother
version upgrade mechanism.

Now, I had issues after the reboot, but that was a different deal that was
easily fixed (the video card was set up incorrectly, and X wouldn't start
until reconfigured (which was a very easy task; apt's equivalents
to %pre, %post, %preun, and %postun are much much more powerful than what RPM
gives you)).

The Ubuntu upgrader GUI is quite a bit faster than pup.  And synaptic is still
far and away better than pirut or any of the yum frontends.  Adept-installer
(under kubuntu this is the default instead of the GTK synaptic) is much more
like pirut, but it is faster.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer