Sharing a printer with Mac OS X 10.4

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 01:02:09 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am running F7, and I've been trying to share a PSC 1510 HP USB
printer with my girlfriend's MacBook Pro, but so far no joy. She keeps
saying "of course this won't work, it's Linux". Of course she's wrong,
I just need you guys' help to prove it to her ;-)

First I thought that going to the Printer configuration dialog and
setting it as "Shared" should do the trick. Not really: her Mac
doesn't see the printer on the network. Since she's looking for
"Windows Printers", I tried starting SAMBA with the default
configuration, but it didn't help either.

Shouldn't CUPS sharing be enough? Is SAMBA really necessary? If so,
any hints on how to achieve this?

TIA

Andre