basic question about assigning ip address

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 03:31:17 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> Jacques B. wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> With the way you were using it and still want to use it you don't need
>> a gateway/router.  All you'd need is a switch (or hub if security
>> between your two machines is not an issue) between your ADSL modem and
>> your PCs.  One that supports wireless.
>>

> I would love to find a nice switch or hub that supports wireless - any
> suggestions would be most welcome.

You can use a separate access point if that's what you want, but if you
want the functions of a router except for the routing, just don't use
the WAN interface.  That is, if you have public IP addresses for
everything and want to use them, plug your dsl connection into one of
the switch ports on the LAN side along with your own equipment and turn
off the DHCP function.   But be aware that you don't get any firewalling
either.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com