python trouble after upgrade fc6 to fc7

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Mon Oct 1 12:32:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 06:47 -0400, lee wrote:
> Upgraded from fc6 to fc7 and now programs using python fail. Failing
> programs are yum, Rhythmbox and printer config, system will not print. I
> match python versions with  a working  pc and they  match.  Any ideas
> welcome.
>
> Lee
>
> yum  error
> >    No module named rpm
> > It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
> > current version of Python, which is:
> > 2.5 (r25:51908, Apr 10 2007, 10:29:13)
> > [GCC 4.1.2 20070403 (Red Hat 4.1.2-8)]
>
> yumex error
> > RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file
>
> rhythmbox error
> > rhythmbox: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.4.so.1.0: cannot
>
>   open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> If I type lp file-name  it lights the light on the printer but does not
> print. If I open printer from system menu nothing happens.
>
> system-config-printer  error
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 40, in <module>
> >     import cups
> > ImportError: No module named cups
>
> Thanks again
> Lee

I ran into the exact same thing this weekend.  I downloaded and
installed (forced install, BTW, using "rpm -ihv --force <pkg>") the
python, XML2, XSLT, and rpm packages, then everything cooked along.  I
figured out what I needed by grepping what python and rpm FC6 packages
were still installed after I upgraded to F7, and what they depend on.

BTW, after I got yum to work and ran "yum update," it updated over 400
packages.  So start it and go read a book or two. ;-]

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution