Recommendation for Fedora server?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Oct 1 16:48:48 UTC 2007

Les wrote:

> These supplies are switching supplies, not linear.  You should check
> some of the draws, I think you will be surprised about how little some
> of them draw (admittedly there are various design strengths out there.)
>
> In general, a linear supply is about 20-35% efficient, meaning that a
> 450 watt supply would draw about 90 watts all the time.  But these new
> switchers are about double that or more, meaning that the supply will
> draw somewhere between 20 and 50 watts.  Moreover that draw will
> basically be independent of the size of the ultimate supply, simply
> existing to control the switcher itself, and not the drive current.
>
> Technology exists in some forms of "buck control" that could boost the
> on line efficiency further reducing the drain.  Power stuff is evolving
> even faster than much of the other technology, but is less glamorous, so
> doesn't get as much of the press.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

Here's some more interesting information on power supplies.  Note that
best efficiency is attained at/near maximum load.  So a 500 watt supply
looks good but may not be what you want when considering power
consumption and disposing of waste heat.

http://services.google.com/blog_resources/PSU_white_paper.pdf

Bob Goodwin