Recommendation for Fedora server?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 1 18:23:08 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Les wrote:
>>>
>> These supplies are switching supplies, not linear.  You should check
>> some of the draws, I think you will be surprised about how little some
>> of them draw (admittedly there are various design strengths out there.)
>>
>> In general, a linear supply is about 20-35% efficient, meaning that a
>> 450 watt supply would draw about 90 watts all the time.  But these new
>> switchers are about double that or more, meaning that the supply will
>> draw somewhere between 20 and 50 watts.  Moreover that draw will
>> basically be independent of the size of the ultimate supply, simply
>> existing to control the switcher itself, and not the drive current.
>> Technology exists in some forms of "buck control" that could boost the
>> on line efficiency further reducing the drain.  Power stuff is evolving
>> even faster than much of the other technology, but is less glamorous, so
>> doesn't get as much of the press.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Les H
>>

> Here's some more interesting information on power supplies.  Note that
> best efficiency is attained at/near maximum load.  So a 500 watt
> supply looks good but may not be what you want when considering power
> consumption and disposing of waste heat.
>
> http://services.google.com/blog_resources/PSU_white_paper.pdf
>
> Bob Goodwin

    Hi Bob, I am interested in what Google has done but need a lot more
information. They say changing the PS to one making just plus 12 volts
will save energy. I do not see that as a given. In fact it makes me
think they are just passing on the voltage change to the mother-board
makers. I think the idea being the MB makers can make just the other
voltages their board needs. But converting 12 to 1.5 volts with economy
of power is complex and will jack up the MB cost somewhat, and will make
it hotter.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User