fedora-list redhat com

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:43:04 UTC 2007

> BackupPC is a great program once you get it working but it is a nightmare to configure.
> The version that comes with the base install of FC7 is 2.x but you can now get 3.0x.
> I have been able to get it to install 50% of the time using the scripts
> (and the version that you download straight from http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/)
> and a cobbled together set of instructions from postings I found all over creation.
> Hoping it would be easier if I installed it straight from the normal repros,
> I tried that but it does not work.

> Has anyone gotten it to work from the normal repros?

In fact I did. I am running version 3.0 from extras, but for FC6.

Although, there are a lot of documentation in the official site,
it is very difficult to realize the few things one has to do to make it
work.

Since Fedora ships it with the user backuppc associated to the nologin,
one has to set the ssh keys somehow, maybe changing the
backuppc user to an ordinary login shell (bash), setting everything
and then setting it back to nologin.

Another point is the problem of realizing where to put the configuration
file for each client.

I think that a simple README.Fedora in the rpm would do the trick.

At least the security issues seem to have been taken care by the packager.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ