Accidentally removed important packages

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 1 22:32:06 UTC 2007

pete at safeplace.net wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> I know that I should have been more careful, but I don't
> know what to do now.
>
> I ran into a version conflict over libstdc++ where I needed to downgrade
> to an older version.
>
> When I removed the package (carelessly, I know) it removed some 311
> dependencies including:
>
> grub
> initscripts
> hal
> passwd
> rpm
> yum
>
> and a bunch of other really important things.
>
> Is there any way to salvage this using the rescue CD, or something?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

    Boy! You really did it. Of course you can't boot up your ruined
system. Here is what I would do if faced with it. With RESCUE I would
make a new partition with fdisk and then mkfs.ext3 and then mount both
this and your old system. You will need to make 2 places to mount them to.

    Now use #cp -a /home /where the partition is mounted. I did this on
mine and so far 3 months it is perfect. Of course if you already did
this your ahead of the game.

    Now I would use the F7 DVD and upgrade the broken with a new one but
be careful not to  delete the old system. With lock it will all come out
good.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User