Accidentally removed important packages

pete at safeplace.net pete at safeplace.net
Mon Oct 1 22:50:13 UTC 2007

>     Boy! You really did it. Of course you can't boot up your ruined
> system. Here is what I would do if faced with it. With RESCUE I would
> make a new partition with fdisk and then mkfs.ext3 and then mount both
> this and your old system. You will need to make 2 places to mount them to.
>
>     Now use #cp -a /home /where the partition is mounted. I did this on
> mine and so far 3 months it is perfect. Of course if you already did
> this your ahead of the game.
>
>     Now I would use the F7 DVD and upgrade the broken with a new one but
> be careful not to  delete the old system. With lock it will all come out
> good.
>

> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>
> --

Karl,

Thank you so much for this tutorial.

I have no risk of sounding ignorant, as I have already posted my mistake,
therefore I will ask for a little clarification.

I will boot with the rescue and select Rescue existing installation.

Then I will create a new partition on my existing hard drive using fdisk.

I will format it as an ext3 filesystem.

The rescue disk mounts my munged system under mnt/sysimage.

I will create another mount point and mount my new partition to it.

If I have understood this so far then I am only confused here.

I should copy the /home directory of the rescue system to my new partition
or to my munged system?

Thank you, again for your kindness.

Pete