Recommendation for Fedora server?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 2 04:14:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 09:21 -0400, ed at hp.uab.edu wrote:
> at 400 watt power supply does not always draw 400 watts from the wall.
> But the efficiancy of the power supply is less when how running at
> full power.

That really depends on the design.  Nothing's 100% efficient, some are
better than others.  Whilst true that they probably optimise a supply
for a certain range, I doubt that there's a really great difference
between most of the switch-mode power supplies, they're all mostly the
same circuitry, with bigger caps and beefier transistors for the higher
powered ones (so they'll last a higher duty cycle), and you'd still want
to pick one that offers more than you're going to need.

You'd also want to look carefully at the specs, you'll probably find
many power supplies rated at what they can supply, but not mentioning
how much they draw.   I suspect that you'd have to look for special high
efficiency units, rather than simply looking for lower wattage ones, as
they're probably all rather poor.

My beef with many power supplies is that they draw too much all of the
time.  We can't easily turn off computers, just shut them down.  It's a
pain to go crawling under desks and around racks to reach the power
points.  And you don't want someone turning off the wrong point.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.