Alias for pen drives

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 2 04:22:05 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller:
>> Or just reformat the drive with
>>
>> mkfs -t vfat -n yourlabel /dev/whatever

Yes, of course, I forgot about that.  If you don't mind formatting a
drive, that's an easy solution.

Paul Smith:
> Thanks to both. Now my pen drive has the label 'MYPEN', and there is
> the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/MYPEN /media/disco vfat noauto,user 0 0
>
> but the pen drive is mounted on /media/MYPEN and not on /media/disco. Any ideas?

Noticing you've already got an answer, but I'll point out why that
doesn't work, for a couple of reasons:

The label you give it is not a device, it's still going to be a device
at /dev/sdb, or /dev/sdc, etc., the device, itself, has a "volume label"
as part of the file system.  Mounting via labels looks at what's stored
on the device.

Once you plug a device into Fedora that's got a volume, the
auto-mounting system will mount it unless it finds something in the
fstab file with the same details.  If you had an entry for /dev/sdc in
there, it'd never auto mount a /dev/sdc device.  Which might be a
problem, as the /dev/sdc thing you intended it for might be applied to
something else attaining the /dev/sdc position.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.