Best way to backup a specific drive?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 2 04:34:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 09:48 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I am preparing to backup my root drive in preparation
> for installing f7.  What is the best way to do this?
>
> I have in /dev/hda as:
>
> /boot = /dev/hda1
> /       = /dev/hda2
>
> I have backed up /boot with: tar zcvpf /boot.tgz /boot
>
> But have get to figure out how to get /dev/hda2 backed up without
> picking up the other drives mounted on /

If you were backing up via devices, it wouldn't matter what was mounted
within it, that's a filing system issue.

Tarballs, as you gave the example, are going the filesystem route.  You
could issue a string of commands just doing certain mount points, rather
than all of /.  That might be more useful, then you could back up /home
and restore parts of /home, for instance.  Likewise, you could
separately back up /usr, and so on.

This is a very bad idea:

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

It encourages people to believe that your mail is safe, when it might
not be.  You could have a virus attached, but they'd believe it was safe
thanks to that writing.  It's easily faked (e.g. by something attaching
viruses to e-mails), people should do their own testing.  A far more
sensible message would be:  "If this message came with a file, you
should test it for viruses."

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.