netwrk sniffers and localhost

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 2 11:34:34 UTC 2007

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>

>>     A few weeks ago I got caught sleeping. I figured the hardware
>> firewall will keep all hackers away but I was very wrong. A guy bent on
>> doing something minor established a ssh connection to my computer and
>> then guessed my user name and password. It was very simple. I have since
>> changed the password. He just went to my browser and there connected to
>> web pages that take hours to come up. I think the guy, and know the web
>> pages, are in Germany.
>>
>>     If he wants to try again it will not work.
>>

> The bot that hacked you may have installed a rootkit.  Here is a
> pretty comprehensive guide to installing rkhunter on f7:
> http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/fedora_files/f7/howto/rkhunter.html
>
> I have not installed rkhunter on F7 - I can't vouch for the accuracy
> of the guide.
>
> Chris

I looked and it is a special case of selinux now being run from Fresno
State. I think there may be something added to Thunderbird. Sometimes
not often when I read something on the web a full screen panel comes on
with no curser and all you can do is turn off the computer.

This is an irritant. I would like to find it and stop the problem.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User