OT (most likely) strange modem disconnection when using USB drives

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 2 17:34:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:27:04 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Anybody think of other things to try?

That sounds to me very much like an electrical problem rather than an electronic
problem.  Your USB enclosure device is creating a ground loop or a short that
is causing your modem to disconnect.  Your modem is apparently the only device
that you have that is sufficiently sensitive to be affected by this.

Try switching the modem to a different electrical circuit and see if anything
changes.  (Note that "different circuit" doesn't just mean a different plug-in
in the same room as they might be on the same circuit.)

My next step, were I  you, would be to call an electrician and have him check
things out.  Aside from the inconvenience, something like this could also be
hazardous to your house and your life.