Desktop Frozen after trying to launch NFS mounted folder from Nautilus

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 2 18:06:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:39 +0530, Sudheer Satyanarayana wrote:
> I'm using FC6 and GNOME. I had shortcut to an NFS shared folder on my
> desktop. Today I clicked the shortcut folder icon on the desktop and
> nautilus and desktop froze. I can't launch nautilus. The icons on the
> desktop are not visible either. Nothing happens when I right click on
> the desktop. Apparently the NFS server is down. I tried
> CTRL+ALT+Backspace and then swithing to runlevel 3 and back to runlevel 5.
>
> I still can't launch nautilus and my desktop is blackened. How can I
> resolve this?

I've come across that before.  I had to forcefully kill some mount
points to break it.  Though I'm surprised you got that far, I'd found
it'd jam up long before I even got a desktop.

Now, I don't have NFS mounts where they might get read during start up
(desktop folders, menu entries), I use a sub-directory, where remote
mounts will only get accessed when I actually intend to.

e.g. ~/server/data
     ~/server/shared
                 ^ remote mount
       ^sub-dir

Even trying to boot a system where you've got unreachable NFS mounts in
your fstab file can be a problem.  For systems that aren't always on my
network, I gave up on that and made use of the auto-mounting system.
They're mounted on demand, when you try to access them through the /net/
folder.

e.g. /net/server-name/shared-folder-name

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.