OT (most likely) strange modem disconnection when using USB drives

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 3 11:48:54 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> TV servicing is another bad one, where you're reaching into the guts of
>> a set, and it's next to impossible to avoid touching things around you.

Claude Jones:
> which reminds me of the big admonishment I gave to one of our employees one
> day when we were pulling the back off his monitor regarding keeping a healthy
> distance from the flyback transformer - guess what I did not more than five
> minutes later?

It's not the electricity that does you in, it's the slashing of your
arms on the chassis as you rip them out in a hurry, then fall backwards
off your chair, tangle your foot in the cord, and bring the still live
set down on top of you...

I've only seen the full chain of events, but I've definitely gashed
myself yanking my hands out.  It's worse if you had to use both hands to
manipulate something in the set, you get a shock going in one arm,
across the chest, and through the other.

Isolation transformers don't help you in the slightest when there's a
full circuit for a current path.  It doesn't have to go to ground
through you.  I couldn't get someone studying television servicing to
understand that, they'll have learnt the hard way, one day.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.