FC7 dies: kernel: general protection fault: 0000 [2] SMP

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 3 14:48:40 UTC 2007

> 2. Error triger: (1). uploading large files (an iso file, larger than 1GB).
> The system will freeze randomly during the transfer period; (2) If
> fortunately, I can finish up the transfer, I mount the iso file and them
> excute a install script, the system freezes. Both these two trigers will let
> a Putty window give error messages like:

The exact message matters, the one written to the log or displayed in
console mode if you are not running X. Also relevant is the hardware list
(lspci -vxxx) amd dmesg. Really this is best put into bugzilla.redhat.com

If the box has never been reliable also check it seems physically happy -
fans are ok etc, and that memtest86 for a few hours finds no faults