Security basics

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 3 20:05:21 UTC 2007

    I have sure heard a LOT about security updates and I have had my own
problems. For years I thought the only thing necessary was a good root
password. This year I found out with ssh around you need a good password
for your own login name. My problem was caused by having a super poor
login password which was my last name. Since the login name was karl it
followed.

    Fixed that problem with a real hard password for karl and root has a
changable hard password. In my olden working days we had safes for State
Secrets and they had what were called "one hour" locks and 30 minute
burn protection.  We changed the combination every 6 months. Drove me bats!

     So the question is this: If I have passwords that are safe for an
hour, is not my computer safe from tampering? I guess the Internet could
send you a file that works to discover passwords and then emails them to
the sender? But this is hard to do.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User