Sound problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 3 23:22:40 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 01:56, david walcroft wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> > See how you get on, and post back please.
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I have done the items you suggested but with no luck,I suppose the
> possibility is that my sound card is faulty....
>
>   david

Ok David. Don't give up on the sonicvibes card just yet.

As you've now made the changes to /etc/modprobe.conf. please post your
current /etc/modprobe.conf, also the output of cat /proc/asound/cards, which
should now show 2 cards, the sonicvibes one as card0, and the intel one as
card1.

What did you get from running alsamixer on the CLI (konsole)? Did you get
mixer settings for the sonicvibes card?

And starting alsamixer as "alsamixer -c 1" (without the quotes), did you get
mixer settings for the intel card?

What music app are you using to test your soundcard?

Running speaker-test should produce some pink noise out of your speakers, as
long as the speakers are connected to the soundcard. To cancel the
speaker-test use ctrl + c.

I've also posted to the alsa-user list to see if there are any known problems
with snd-sonicvibes driver, and also did a bit of googling. the card looks
like it should work OOTB.

It's annoying not to have sounds. My audigy2 soundblaster works ok, and on the
other machine the ensoniq card also works, but it's frustrating when you
can't get your card to produce sounds.

Nigel.