Upgrading FC5

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 4 07:13:59 UTC 2007

> fredex wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop I use only sporadically that still has FC5 on it.
>>
>> Is it reasonable to upgrade directly to F7, or should I do it in
>> two steps fc5==>fc6==>f7 ?
>
> I upgraded directly from FC-5 to F-7 without problem.
> I did make sure all partitions were labelled,
> and referred to in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf by their labels.
> This is essential, because of the change from /dev/hda? to /def/sda?.

I realize this is talking about normal dist upgrades, but it triggers me
 to add a note about updating via yum to F8 that will be useful to
someone somewhere.  I have been updating boxes with yum since FC1,
sometimes skipping versions of Fedora, and it is generally pretty
successful.

I updated a system from FC5 to development a couple of weeks ago using
yum, there were a few fallouts, the sharpest one was that nothing
triggered it to install the new package (new in F7) ConsoleKit.  The end
result was that audio was only usable by root and USB flash drive
insertion errored out, but otherwise the system was okay.  Yum
installing it and chkconfig ConsoleKit on sorted those out (after some
head scratching to figure out the issue).

The other weirdo was to do with util-linux being replaced by
util-linux-ng package in F8, this did not occur and the resulting system
was left with an old "mount" that did not understand "userhelper=hal".
I updated it specifically with yum and that was resolved too, realizing
that it should delete the old util-linux in one step.

-Andy