fedora-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 30

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 4 14:02:26 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:18:36 +0200
> From: "antonio montagnani" <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>
> Subject: F7.91 installation
> To: Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>,	"For testers of Fedora Core
> 	development releases"	<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>
> I am trying to install Fedora 7.91.
> I downloaded DVD , but when I start installation, procedure stops at line:
>
> running /sbin/loader
>
> And another question: anaconda starts very fast, I see a menu for a
> really short time, then it goes to the coloured menu with 4 options:
> Installation or upggrade (graphic)
> installation or upgrade (text)
> rescue
> memory test
>
> No options available??
>
> My harwdare is an Acer Aspire 5720 with an external USB disk:
>
> Shall I post the output of dmesg file????

Try it again, but let it sit for a while. I saw the same thing on one
attempt at an install of 8rc2. I rebooted and tried again. I got
distracted at that point by a phone call, and as I talked, I saw it
suddenly continue.

There is a LONG delay which is probably some some 'wait-for-it' timeout.
Undoubtedly a structural error as it does not happen with F7.

On the subject of 8rc2, unless I did something wrong on a requested
reboot after the main install (leave the DVD in, or take it out? I took
it out) the installer does NOT ask you to create a user....I ended up
with a graphical boot, which does NOT allow a root user, but NO normal
user. (Had to switch to a console and mess around a lot with adduser and
passwd....).

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury