Rescuing files from a LVM partition

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Thu Oct 4 14:21:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Andrew Stewart wrote:

> > Before doing any more damage,
> > make at least one disk image of what you have.
> > If a disk image is a file of a larger drive,
> > you can use loopback to examine it.
> > If you want to make changes, don't use your only copy.

> I'm not sure how to do that when I can't even mount the disk.

You shouldn't mount the disk.
The command is something like
cp /dev/sda  /this/file/will/be/big
Note that sda does not end in a digit.
It refers to the entire drive, not any particular partition.
You might need hdb or something instead of sda,
depending on the drive and its place in the pecking order.
The copy will take a while.
dd, with a different syntax, will work also.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Horse guts never lie."  -- Cherek Bear-Shoulders