The Update Problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 5 01:17:33 UTC 2007

Jonathan Underwood:
>> Why do you keep starting new threads rather than continuing the
>> discussion in the pre-existing thread?

Karl Larsen:
> Because you see I first thought the problem was someone else sending
> things to me. Now I know the problem was actually the pup software in
> this computer! So it is a new issue.

It's still the same *thread*, keep the whole thread together.  If
there's a need, you can change the subject line if the thread changes
angle, but still keep replying to the same *thread*.

In the near 100 messages a day I see from the list, plus the others than
I'm on, it gets very hard to follow a thread when many of the
conversations are not connected together.

Threading is done by the message IDs and reference headers.  Each
message states which message it's directly in reply-to, and lists the
others its associated with.  Decent mail clients can thread them all
together so that you can walk through them, in sequence.

Nothing else determines what is or isn't a part of the thread.  i.e. The
subject line is NOT part of the equation, even if some pathetic mail
clients fudge an attempt at threading by using it, and only it.

Yes, some mail clients give you an option of splitting apart threads
when the subject line changes, but that's an additional feature.
They're still using the proper headers for threading.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.