wpa_supplicant

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 13:24:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 07:22 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > In addition to all these questions , why don't you use NetworkMamager.
> > If you did you would not have to worry about configuring wpa_supplicant
> > and if the cards are supported then WEP and various WPA's are supported,
> > With and without LEAP or PEAP for example.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but NetworkManager will only be able to use the
> underlying tools if the driver and basic networking is established as
> operational. In this case I believe there are problems with the
> underlying tools so NetworkManager is unlikely to be able to do any better?

I am not sure what you mean by saying that the underlying tools need to
be operational. You certainly need an appropriate driver. But as far as
wpa_suplicant configuration goes you can ignore the configuration.
> Also in one case the computer is my wife's and she not unreasonably expects
> it to switch on and "just work" - hence she would not want to be bothered
> with networkmanager - hence I would like to get networking going
> automatically from boot.

Well NM brings up the networking automatically from boot with this
proviso. You may have to enter a passwd for the gnome keychain after you
login. But that is all you have to do. It remembers the default AP in
each environment I work in.
When you try to make an impression, the chances are that is the
impression you will make.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net