Rescuing files from anLVM partition

dreeser2-store at yahoo.com dreeser2-store at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 14:17:41 UTC 2007

> No, the new one won't be mutated into LVM by copying
> files from the LVM
> partition... they're just files being copied over at
> that point.  To
> get
> "LVM-ness" on a partition you have to meddle with
the > partition after
> creating a fresh one.  If you create your new > >

> partition with fdisk,
>  mark
> it as "Linux" and then mkfs.ext3 it, there is no LVM
> involved with that
> partition nor will there ever be (may it rest in >
>peace).

>> Will it copy all the confog files (wherever
>> they are?) or do I have to delete some? If I leave
>> /dev behind, is that enough to get rid of LVM?

 Thanks for the reply. I made a new linux partition on
my second drive did a "cp -arx / /dev/hdb3" and the
whole thing went well. I made a new stanza in
grub.conf for it and it booted right out of the box.
 I still had LVM on it though. When I ran "mount" it
showed a VolGroup00/LogVol01 mounted as /. I checked
to see that the  / I was running was indeed /dev/hdb3.
(I put a file "THISISHDB3" on / so I can tell for
sure. There is probably a more couth way to do that.)
 I then checked fstab and the old line to mount
volgroup/logvol was still there and I needed a new
line to mount /dev/hdb3. I changed to a label here and
made a new line. It still booted OK, but LVM was still
hanging around. THen the lightbulb went of and I
realized I still had the old LVM swap partition. I had
to make a new swap partition and put it in fstab.
 Andy Your advice was right on. It all went pretty
smoothly. The only thing left is that in dmesg it says
that it is starting lvm as a secondary.
  Now I can reformat my fc6 lvm partitions on /dev/hda
and be rid of it for good  Thank You. Your posting was
clear and informative.