sound capture on Fedora 7

Andrew Wood andrew at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 5 15:17:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

Recently I've installed Audacity to edit audio captured from my
mini-disk. The sound card I have is based on a C-Media CMI8738 chipset.
There's only one mic socket on the card so I thought this would be a
doddle to sample. When it didn't work I thought it was the card so I
swapped it for another similar card/chipset.

There is absolutely no sound detectable coming from the mic. The drivers
I'm using are the standard ones which are provided with Fedora 7.

A look at the Audacity wiki, and the ALSA wiki has provided no clue as
to what the problem or fix could be. Any suggestions?

Andrew

Andrew Wood, Oxford, England