sound capture on Fedora 7

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Oct 5 15:28:39 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've installed Audacity to edit audio captured from my
> mini-disk. The sound card I have is based on a C-Media CMI8738 chipset.
> There's only one mic socket on the card so I thought this would be a
> doddle to sample. When it didn't work I thought it was the card so I
> swapped it for another similar card/chipset.
>
> There is absolutely no sound detectable coming from the mic. The drivers
> I'm using are the standard ones which are provided with Fedora 7.
>
> A look at the Audacity wiki, and the ALSA wiki has provided no clue as
> to what the problem or fix could be. Any suggestions?

First move is to run alsamixer in a terminal and meddle with the settings.

By default it shows you settings to do with output; hit tab to see the
settings to do with input.  Use the cursor left and right and space to
select the input channel, up and down cranks the current slider up and
down.  Esc to exit.

No alsamixer?  yum install alsa-utils

-Andy