Duplicating CUPS Printer installation

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 5 15:48:53 UTC 2007

Tim Waugh wrote:

>> I need to set up a default CUPS printer on lots of machines in labs (
>> several hundred ;-( ) running Fedora 7. I've got it configured and
>> working on one machine. Is there any way to duplicate the settings from
>> that machine so that I could install the printer on the other machines
>> without running system-config-printer on each machine.
>
> If you set a default printer on a CUPS server and have it publish its
> printers, clients should already pick up that default printer as their
> own defaults (see the "UseNetworkDefault" cupsd.conf option, which
> defaults to "yes").

http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#UseNetworkDefault

I don't understand this man entry.
Where exactly are you meant to put the command "UseNetworkDefault yes"?
I take it from the title that it is meant to go in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf .
But on the client or the server?
And where in cupsd.conf ?
I thought the only information needed on the client
was in /etc/cups/printers.conf ?

Ps CUPS documentation is very, very bad.