OT (most likely) strange modem disconnection when using USB drives

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 6 04:41:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:32:49 -0400
Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com> wrote:

> We had arc-lamp projectors - you had to monitor those things constantly
> to keep the distance between the two electrodes a fairly close constant --

Believe it or not, there are a few tiny weekend theatres that still use
carbon arc lamphouses and twin projector setups.  In fact, I just had a guy
phone me last week asking if I had or knew where he could find a good used
xenon lamphouse and platter system to replace his carbon arc setup.

It just so happened that I have an old lamphouse that I told him he could
have.  However, I sold my old Christie platter to a drive-in a few years ago.

Carbons are getting to be almost impossible to buy anywhere, and are
unbelievably expensive when you can find them. I like the switch it on when the
show starts, switch it off when it's over convenience of xenon setups, myself.

I told him that, depending on what equipment he can find, he might want to
consider a twin projector setup with xenon lamphouses and 6000-foot reels.  I
know one guy who runs a setup like that and he seems quite happy with it.