sound capture on Fedora 7

Andrew Wood andrew at gn.apc.org
Sat Oct 6 14:02:38 UTC 2007

Dear all,

Thanks to all those who suggested fixes to my problem below, re.sound capture on Fedora 7

I have to say that I hadn't noticed the System->Personal->Hardware->Sound; previously I'd noticed the entry on
System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound and assumed this (and the volume control on the top bar of screen) was all there was. So this meant that I could unmute the record, amd cancel and up the recording slider to full. However on its own this didn't solve the problem.

So I uninstalled Audacity 1.3, which is the unstable release included in Fedora 7, and installed audacity-1.2.5-3.fc5 RPM for i386 <ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/extras/5/i386/audacity-1.2.5-3.fc5.i386.rpm>
which is the stable version. The 1.2 release worked fine (although the recording mixer level had to up full, interestingly). I notice the recording device is /dev/dsp in 1.2, which is not the default device on the one included in 1.3 (Fedora 7) - although it can be changed to dsp (and that didn't work, surprisingly).

Hope that helps someone as it took me a very frustrating few hours to work out (and clearly isn't the ideal solution).

Bests

Andrew

Andrew Wood, Oxford, England

Message: 5