CD/DVD drive not recognized.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Oct 7 16:09:51 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
> On 10/7/07, Simon Slater <pyevet at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>>         I have an Acer Extensa 5220 with a Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P CD/DVD drive.
>> After installing Fedora 7 this drive is not found by any application.
>> Will it be one of the /dev/sda devices?  I'm not sure where to start
>> with this one, googling didn't come up with anything useful.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Simon
>
> If it's an IDE device (typically CD/DVD drives are) it will be a
> /dev/hd? device.  Where it sits on the IDE chain will dictate if it's
> hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd.  The primary/master drive on the first IDE
> chain is hda.  The secondary/slave drive is hdb.  The primary/master
> on the second IDE chain (assuming your motherboard has 2 because some
> newer ones don't) is hdc, and the secondary/slave on the 2nd IDE chain
> is hdd.

He is using F7, so it will be /dev/scd? - probably /dev/scd0
Remember, in F7, all IDE drives are handled as SCSI drives. Hard
drives are sda, sdb, sdc, etc, regardless of where they sit on the
chain. (Except that the chain is scanned in the normal order.)
CD/DVD drives are scd0, scd1, etc. Tape drives are st0, st1, etc.

> If it's an external USB/firewire drive then it will be /dev/sd?.

Again, it will be /dev/scd? and not /dev/sd? The SCSI drivers name
devices depending on what type of device they are.

Mikkel