Mounting an LVM volumn

dreeser2-store at yahoo.com dreeser2-store at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 12:48:07 UTC 2007

> arrakis ~ #
> arrakis ~ # cat lvm.txt

> #load device module
> modprobe dm-mod
> #change the volumes that exist to active
> vgchange -ay

I don't think you need to do this if all you want to
do is mount the volumn. On the other hand, I don't
know what it does either. Can't help you there.

> #mount the logical partition
> mkdir -p /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00
-
 After you make this directory the first time it will
remain through reboots so you don't need to run this
again until you remove it.

> however, I'm not sure how to unmount, and I need to,
> maybe, futz around with fstab.

 I am not sure why mount shows that directory as being
busy. Maybe the vgchange command has something to do
with it. I don't know how to undo that. If you get the
proper line in fstab you can bypass the script. A line
like

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/VolGroup/LogVol00
               ext3    noauto        1 1

should work (on my syatem I made the directory name
"/mnt/new" and it saves me some typing. now I can
"mount /mnt/new" and "umount /mnt/new")

A non-guru solution to unmounting the volumn is
 "shutdown -r now"
 Grins.