The case against NetworkManager

David Hough fedora at llondel.org
Tue Oct 9 20:38:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 12:57 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:

> Static IPs are required if you want your router to DNAT specific ports
> to specific hosts.  Gamers will typically want this.

So you can always do what I do - everything on my network except the
DNS/DHCP machines asks for an IP address via DHCP and the DHCP server
has all the MAC addresses hardcoded to dish out fixed IP addresses to
them so I can control who gets what centrally and easily change any or
all of them. For foreign machines, it will dish out an IP address in a
small range so they'll work but not interfere with the rest of the
network.

I'd like to use Network Manager but at the moment it doesn't support
PPTP on Fedora 7 and my laptop has a Broadcom BC4318 wireless card and
something broke in a recent update (B43 driver replacing older stuff?)
and I haven't had time to fix it apart from buy an Intel 2200 card on
eBay to replace it.

Anyone who's used an Apple laptop will have noticed that it transitions
seamlessly from wired to wireless, I'd like NM to do the same.