Windows Key in KDE not reliable

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:39:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

Em Ter 09 Out 2007, Gary Stainburn escreveu:
> Hi folks
>
> I've set up my laptop and my desktop to use Win+<key> shortbuts in
> KDE and most of the time it works fine.
>
> However, on both machines about 1 in 3 times it doesn't work.  If I
> try for example Win+P I just get 'P' appearing in whatever window is
> open.
>
> If I try to re-setup a short-cut the 'Win+' appears in the button but
> disappears when I press the second key.
>
> Can anyone suggest why this happens and how I can fix it.

That's a bug in xorg, which has been opened for a long time and has not
been fixed yet. However, you can use some workarounds. If you add the
following line to the InputDevice section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"

Then both win keys will work correctly, but you will loose the Alt Gr
functionality (the right Alt will turn in an ordinary Alt key, like the
left one). Depending on your language, you may not miss Alt Gr.
However, if you need Alt Gr, you may try this other line:
Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:left_meta_win"

With this one, the Alt Gr will work good, but the right win key will
not. However, the left one will. In both cases, you have to restart
xorg after the changes.

If anyone knows a way to setup xorg so that I have both win keys AND Alt
Gr working, I would like very much to know.

[]'s
Marcelo