F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 9 22:18:12 UTC 2007

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> Thank you for giving me the instructions on installing GRUB, but I'm
>>> very nervous about disturbing Windows again, and thus having to
>>> install two OSes again.
>>>
>>> Raymond
>>>
>>    Why did grub not boot both windows and Linux after you loaded
>> Linux? In the load sequence it gets to the grub section and ask's if
>> you want it. Then if yes you set up Linux and windows to be booted.
>> Why did this not work?
>>
> As I stated, Windows XP did not like having the MBR tampered with. I'm
> not a MCSE, so I didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting Windows,
> nor did I feel like going through the hassles on my personal computer.
> Furthermore, it was 7 months ago that I did the installations, and the
> details are no longer as clear as they once were.
>>    You can reload the boot for windows by just running the install CD
>> for winXP. You should not ever lose windows.
>>
> See above. The few times I did try to use the WinXP recovery, I chose
> to use the automated recovery which failed to do anything useful.
>>    Tell us more about your setup. How many hard drives? How did you
>> make partitions? Which partitions do you have now? What are the names
>> of the partitions, like /dev/sda3 and such?
>>
> At the time of installation, there was just a single SATA hard disk
> which I partitioned during WinXP's installation. As I'm about 20 miles
> from the machine at the moment (accessing it via RDP over ssh), I
> can't exactly pop a CD into it and boot linux to find out all the
> details at this time; I'll do that this evening. But, if memory
> serves, the Linux partition is at /dev/sda2.

Right now if in fact Linux is at /dev/sda2 we can get your old system
working. Get on your Linux and go to /boot/grub/ and with an editor
display grub.conf and you should see that #boot= /dev/sda2 and down at
the kernel listing it will say root=(hd0,1) and if that is the case, the
problem is in your windows boot.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User