_X11TransSocketINETConnect() fails when install FC6

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Tue Oct 9 22:36:19 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> I picked up a used Dell OptiplexG260 from the university surplus.  I
>> assume it had WinXP on it (didn't look).  I slipped in the FC6
>> install #1, and ran through the install in text mode, because I got
>> _X11TranSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost :6001 :
>> Temporary failure in name resolution     Cannot open display ":1"
>>
>> After install, it boots to login, rather than graphic.  Do I have to do
>> something about wiping drive, before installing FC6 from CD?  How do I
>> correct display, and get graphics running in runlevel 5 at boot?  Any
>> pointers to steps greatly appreciated.
>>

> If you're feeling lucky, you can try:
>
> # system-config-display --reconfig
>
> and maybe that will work where the installer failed.  If so, then you
> just need to change 3 to 5 in the id:3:initdefault: line in
> /etc/inittab.

So far, I've tested install with two monitors.  Same result.  I logged
in as root and ran:
 ># startx
with version info and legend coming up, followed by:
(EE) i810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

The legend says, the (EE) means error.  I'm not sure where the computer
is looking for Video BIOS modes for chosen depth.  Is there a universal
Video BIOS modes command I can enter at boot to get computer to boot
into runlevel 5?
Tom