2.6.23 kernel

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 10 17:39:50 UTC 2007

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>         I saw on www.kernel.org that the 2.6.23 kernel has been released
>> but yum update kernel does not update the kernel to that version.When
>> will
>> it be available for Fedora?
>
> Much safer to remove the fedora ones and only use the kernel.org
> sources, roll your own, your kernel install will shrink 10 fold and
> IMHO performs better as its compiled against your setup.

    That is a real bunch of words that mean little to me. As for "roll
your own" this takes me back to Red Hat 5. Then you had no choice. But
today I wait for yum update to bring me the one rolled up by the Fedora
Experts. I have had good luck with them.

    As for wanting a new kernel, I have one that works real well now. I
doubt that a new kernel will be an improvement :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User