How to update alsa driver manually

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 10 20:37:43 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:06, antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2007/10/10, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr>:
> > I've had no need to update manually the alsa driver as the soundcard on
> > my 2 machines works fine, but for the sake of experience I want to know
> > how to upgrade an alsa driver for my current kernel on Fedora7.
> >
> > My latest kernel is 2.6.22.9-91.fc7, and I have the kernel headers for
> > this kernel.
> >
> > I have a bunch of alsa drivers downloaded, but putting aside the hg ones,
> > as I think you need to install the mercurial package to install these,
> > I'm looking at wanting to install alsa driver 1.0.15rc3 (current version
> > for the kernel above is 1.0.14).
> >
> > Anyone willing to give me a step by step in upgrading the alsa driver?
> >
> > Any help on this really appreciated.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > --
>
> Have a look at this thread a few days old, and you will find a step by
> step procedure
> No sound with Intel ICH8 (Realtek 268 chip)
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

yes I saw that thread when trying to help someone on the alsa-user list that
has a problem with sound using a Acer Aspire 5720 notebook. I see that you
got sound fixed with Fedora 7, and Fedora8 with this notebook.

I found the instructions a bit difficult to follow, but I bookmarked the page,
and will check it out again.

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel.