Has anybody upgraded eclipse? [SOLVED??]

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Wed Oct 10 21:35:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:33 -0700, John Wendel wrote:

> Well, I tried to install the latest eclipse from the development repo.
> Yum failed to resolve all the dependencies, failed with some library
> related to mplayer. It wanted to install new versions of gnome, kde,
> open office, gcc, glibc, anaconda and lots of other stuff, totally
> unrelated to eclipse.

Of course, I didn't have the dependency issues you found. But I still
wasn't brave enough to just do it. I just finished a test, however.

I installed FC6 fresh in VMWare, did a full update (yikes!), loaded a
copy of my main workspace tree into the VM and confirmed that eclipse
was working. Then I keyed in the magic incantation to upgrade eclipse
(still no dependency issue like you observed). Did I want to proceed?
Yes!

At this point I switched to another VM, unable to stomach the idea of
actually watching the carnage. Came back to it a half hour later to see
that the update was successful as far as yum was concerned.

I started eclipse, and it asked me if I wanted to convert my old format
workspace configurations. All now seems to be working.

So, to sum up: I wanted the new eclipse, but I'm stuck for the time
being with FC6. I tried (virtually) updating eclipse thus:

        # yum --enablerepo=development update eclipse-cdt

And it seems to have worked without hosing my (virtual) system.

I'm in a state of shock, really. I might actually try the real thing
tomorrow...

-Alan