Fedora server

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Oct 11 00:48:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 01:08 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >> If it was me, I would find the smallest laptop drive and go for that.
> >
> > I agree.  FLASH drives are peachy but have a limited number of write
> > cycles they can handle.  Laptop drives are pretty cheap and don't
> > generate a lot of heat.
>
> Thanks for all the advice.
>
> Actually, I have two servers in mind.
> One is a fairly standard home server,
> and it seems flash drives would not be appropriate.
>
> The other will only be woken occasionally,
> so flash might make sense.
> I didn't find much info from people who are using flash drives.
> The ones I did read about seemed mostly in cars,
> where I suppose use is likely to be sporadic.

Again, just remember that FLASH drives are only good for some fixed
number of write cycles (the number of cycles varies with the maker).
After that, you can't write to them any more for any reason (no
reformats, no file storage, nada!).  The only solution is to chuck them
out the window (sorry...recycle them properly).

You'd be better off on the "only woken occasionally" system to use a
disk and make sure it can use ACPI or whatever to suspend to disk and go
into a low-power mode (spin down the disk, etc.).  Make sure it can be
woken by network or keyboard/mouse activity.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -