2.6.23 kernel

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:48:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 21:39 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 07:43:21PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> > > C. At least in my experience the performance increase in rolling your
> > > own kernel was negligible. YMV, of course.
> >
> > I tend to agree. I used to experiment with rolling my own and never really
> > experienced any noticeable benefit. Of course, if there is some option you
> > really need, that is disabled in the FC version then yes, but I bet these are
> > rather esoteric cases.
> >
> It surely depends a bit on how much capacity (in various ways) the
> system has to spare.  If there's ample spare memory, processor power,
> etc. then a small decrease in kernel footprint is going to make little
> difference.
>
> I have only built custom kernels recently when I needed patches,
> drivers, etc. that weren't yet in the standard kernels.

... True, but you shouldn't be installing Fedora on older and/or
embedded machine to begin with.
Running the first post-install yum update on my PII/366/256MB laptop
(that currently runs CentOS5) literally took days.

IMHO, you should really use Fedora on semi-recent desktop, laptop and
servers.

- Gilboa