mplayer without libmp3lame support

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 11 20:59:56 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 15:48 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> but "exec" *is* the default mount option.
>
> But the "user" option sets noexec.
>
>               user   Allow  an  ordinary  user  to mount the file system.  The
>                      name of the mounting user is written to mtab so  that  he
>                      can  unmount  the file system again.  This option implies
>                      the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless  overridden
>                      by   subsequent   options,   as   in   the   option  line
>                      user,exec,dev,suid).

Well spotted -- I guess that is where the actual mount-reported noexec,
nosuid and nodev options originally came from, they sprang from giving
user in the /etc/fstab options.  But I still didn't understand why the
remount attempt that didn't include anything but -oremount,rw blew
chunks.  I guess it is a 'feature' of reiserfs or one of those options.

Anyway if das removed the "user" part from /etc/fstab it should enable
him to run things from that partition again.  Or maybe he'll just build
on one of his ext3 parts from now on ;-)

-Andy