symlink of /home causes mail delivery failure

Pete Geenhuizen pgeenhuizen at pobox.homeunix.net
Thu Oct 11 22:26:25 UTC 2007

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to make my /home directory a symlink to something on a
> different disk (i.e., symlink across filesystems). It appeared to work
> fine when browsing directories, but mail delivery stopped!
>
> I'm using Postfix, with procmail doing the local delivery.
>
> Is there any reason that procmail (or anything else) would fail if
> /home is a symlink?
>
> - Mike

There's no reason why procmail should fail with a sym link, but in the
event that there is something else going on simply tell procmail in your
$HOME/.procmailrc where your home is.

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

You can also have procmail log everything that it's doing by turning
verbose on and it should tell you what it doesn't like, be sure to tell
it where the log file is, this is what I've used to identify problems.

VERBOSE=yes
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
#LOGABSTRACT=all

See the procmailrc for more info on what else you can do in .procmailrc

believed to be clean.