SELinux Attack!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 12 20:51:45 UTC 2007

Thomas Cameron wrote:
>> What you are describing is almost surely a matter of your host not being
>> able to resolve its own name.  Nothing whatsoever to do with SELinux.
>>
>> Post the contents of your /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf files.
>>
>> I'm betting good money that localhost does not resolve.

Karl Larsen
> [karl at k5di ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> ::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
> 192.168.0.1     dsl
> [karl at k5di ~]$

        ^^^^   "k5di" is your hostname, it's not in the hosts file
contents you listed above.  Add it, and see if your troubles go away.

> [karl at k5di ~]$ ping localhost
> PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
> time=0.060 ms
>
> OK how much money were you going to send :-)

Don't count your chickens...  ;-)

> [karl at k5di ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> nameserver 216.234.192.92
> nameserver 216.234.213.130
> [karl at k5di ~]$
> [karl at k5di ~]$
>
> It all looks fine to me.

Looks reasonable.  Another thing to check is "/etc/nsswitch.conf" and
look for the line beginning with "hosts", here is mine:

hosts:      files dns

This means, first try the hosts file to resolve the name, then try DNS.

--
(This laptop runs FC7, my other boxes run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.