Hosts file

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 12 23:07:35 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:59 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> DNS rewriting the hosts file is just plain screwy. In my mind there is
>> something very wrong with the DNS server.
>
> DHCP changing the hosts file, not DNS...  The DHCP server can specify
> quite a few things to change, some on your computer, some on the local
> DNS server (to add your computer to the records).
>
> Why?  I'm glad you asked!  DHCP is useful for when person A takes their
> computer B to network C today, then goes home and plugs it into network
> D, and takes it with them to the hotel network E, all of which have
> wildly different parameters, and needs change to all manner of things:

However, this only makes sense if all networks rewrite all the same data.
If network D doesn't write out the hosts file that is needed for that
network and the computer is taken to network E and the hosts file for D is
wiped out....I think I've be rather miffed when I returned my system to
network D.

--
You can't cheat the phone company.