Ipods

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Oct 12 23:35:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 17:55 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Yes, with some weird names in /media and I've never gotten my iPod
> > video 30GB to work with Amarok worth a damn.  I'm always getting
> > "Can't create lock file...read-only file system" errors.  Granted,
> > mine's a Mac-formatted (hfsplus) unit...perhaps that's the problem.
>
> I would bet that is part of it.  Check out the udeve rules and see,
> maybe they don't work with the hfsplus models right.  The mount point
> is supposed to be the iPod's name.  On the vfat formatted models, this
> is in the volume label.

No, udev works fine.  The thing appears as "/media/Rick Stevens's iPod"
(spaces included), which is difficult to make work in Amarok.  To get
around that, I unmounted it and manually mounted it as root using:

	# mkdir /media/ipod
	# chmod 777 /media/ipod
	# mount -t hfsplus -ouid=500,gid=500,umask=0 \
		/dev/sdc3 /media/ipod

It mounted up at /media/ipod, an "ls -l /media/ipod" reveals everything
has decent permissions (777 or 666, depending) and I'm shown as the user
and group for almost everything (some stuff is "nobody").  However,
amarok still bitches that it's a read-only file system and thus won't
show a playlist or anything.  More or less useless.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -