Hosts file

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 12 23:45:04 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> DHCP changing the hosts file, not DNS...  The DHCP server can specify
>> quite a few things to change, some on your computer, some on the local
>> DNS server (to add your computer to the records).
>>
>> Why?  I'm glad you asked!  DHCP is useful for when person A takes their
>> computer B to network C today, then goes home and plugs it into network
>> D, and takes it with them to the hotel network E, all of which have
>> wildly different parameters, and needs change to all manner of things:

Ed Greshko:
> However, this only makes sense if all networks rewrite all the same
> data. If network D doesn't write out the hosts file that is needed for
> that network and the computer is taken to network E and the hosts file
> for D is wiped out....I think I've be rather miffed when I returned my
> system to network D.

It's more a case of your client starting out with it's stand-alone
configuration.  Backing that up when it changes it to suit one network,
and restoring it upon disconnection (your client changing its
configuration based on what the DHCP server provides, not the remote
DHCP server actually changing things on the client).  And doing the same
sort of thing for the next network.

Automatically doing the sorts of things that you'd have done by hand.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.