Determining IP information for lo... failed

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 13 00:14:12 UTC 2007

When I reboot my FC5 machine, and when I run "service network restart,"
I get the following error message:

Bringing up loopback interface:
Determining IP information for lo... failed.
                                                           [FAILED]

I don't what this means, and why it might be a bad thing.  All I know
for sure is that it slows down my boot process.

Here're the contents of /etc/networking/devices/ifcfg-lo:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

Here's what ifconfig says:

Link encap:Local Loopback
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:13176 (12.8 KiB)  TX bytes:13176 (12.8 KiB)

Any pointers?